Latest News on Altnews.Asia
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan departs for Saudi Arabia on one-day visitby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday departed for a one-day visit to Saudi Arabia with an aim to assuage the Kingdom's concerns regarding the upcoming Kuala Lumpur summit.
- Jaishankar meets Maldives' Parliament Speakerby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Friday met Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed.
- US President Trump confident Senate will not impeach him: White Houseby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Washington [US], Dec 19 (ANI): US President Donald Trump is confident that the Senate will not vote to impeach him after the House of Representatives voted in favour of the impeachment motion, the White House said in a statement.
- We're worried, want authorities to address issue appropriately: Mohamed Nasheed on Chinese fundsby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Speaker of Maldivian Parliament and former president Mohamed Nasheed said that a "large amount" of Chinese funds have gone into Maldives as projects, most of which have inflated prices and have led to the debt.
- Khalilzad visits Pakistan, updates officials on Taliban Talksby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (Sputnik/ANI): US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad during his visit to Islamabad on Friday briefed Pakistani government officials on the latest developments in the Taliban peace talks, the US Embassy in Pakistan said in a statement.
- Maldives will not allow anyone to preach hate: former president Nasheed on Zakir Naikby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives former President Mohamed Nasheed on Friday said that controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik attempt to enter the Maldives recently was prevented as the government of the island nation does not want anyone to "preach" hatred.
- Future of India, Maldives bright says former President Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has affirmed that the governments of India and Maldives are "on the same page" and the future of ties between the two countries is "bright".
- CAA is internal issue of India: Maldives Speaker Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Terming Citizenship (Amendment) Act an "internal issue" of India, Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on Friday exuded trust in Indian democracy and said that the Bill was democratically passed through both the houses of the Parliament.
- CAA protests: US, UK France, Canada issue 'travel advisory', ask citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Amid protests in northeastern states of India against the amended Citizenship Act, many countries including US, UK, France and Canada have issued travel advisories for their citizens asking them to "exercise caution" while travelling to the region.
- US travel advisory for North East, urges citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): The United States has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to "exercise caution" while travelling to the states in North East India and the US government has temporarily suspended "official travel" to Assam, amid reports of protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act.
- 3 dead in overnight blast in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepalby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Kathmandu [Nepal], Dec 14 (ANI): At least three people have died in an overnight explosion in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepal.
- Maritime security multi-faceted issue, co-operation of other countries is necessary: Maldives Foreign Secretaryby Joymala Bagchi (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maritime security is not the responsibility of one state and the cooperation of other countries is necessary, said Maldives Foreign Secretary Abdul Ghafoor Mohamed here on Friday.
- Sharif may be considered for possible toxicology screen if platelet count does not respond: Pak media reportsby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 13 (ANI): In a development likely to raise eyebrows, Pakistani media on Friday reported that former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's toxicology screening for poisoning might be ordered 'if no cause or cure is found of his unstable platelets.'
- Maldives' FM meets PM Modi, conveys Male's commitment to further strengthen ties with Indiaby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maldives' Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and conveyed the "commitment of the leadership of the Maldives to its 'India First' policy" and to further strengthening the bilateral relations.
- India, Maldives agree to strengthen cooperation to combat common threats arising from terrorismby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): India and the Maldives on Friday agreed to hold the meeting of Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism, Countering Violent Extremism and De-radicalisation at an early date to strengthen cooperation required to combat the common threats arising from terrorism and radicalism.
- Contrary to his wish, Zakir Naik was not allowed to come to Maldives, says Maldivian Parliament's Speakerby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik wanted to enter The Maldives but his request was turned down by the government of the island nation.
- People's Majlis Speaker Mohamed Nasheed calls on PM Modi, reaffirms 'unwavering support' to 'India First' policyby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and reaffirmed his government's unwavering support to the 'India First' policy.
- Verdict says Musharraf's body to be hanged at Islamabad's D-Chowk for 3 days if dies before executionby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 19 (ANI): The Special Court, which pronounced death sentence to Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday, has written in its 167-page detailed verdict that the body of the former military dictator would be dragged to and hanged at D-Chowk in Islamabad if he died before the execution of his death sentence.
- PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad Houseby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Nov 19 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday met his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad House.
- 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commences from todayby ANI (World) on February 27, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): The 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commenced with Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan, giving a welcome speech at the ministerial meeting hosted by External Affairs Ministry (EAM) on Friday evening.
- First batch of China's CoronaVac Covid-19 vaccine arrives in Malaysiaon February 27, 2021
February 27, 2021 10:16 AMThe vaccines transported on an Airbus 300 aircraft and arrived at KLIA on Saturday.
- Tiger Woods recovering, in 'good spirits' after follow-up procedures-tweeton February 27, 2021
Fifteen-time major winner Tiger Woods is recovering and in "good spirits" after he received successful follow-up procedures on injuries sustained this week in a car accident, according to a statement posted to his Twitter account on Friday.
- Myanmar's UN ambassador appeals to world body for action to end military coupon February 27, 2021
NEW YORK: Myanmar's UN Ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun, speaking for the country's elected civilian government ousted in a military coup on Feb 1, appealed to the United Nations on Friday (Feb 26) "to use any means necessary to take action against the Myanmar military" to restore democracy to the Southeast ...
- AMC Entertainment approves millions in bonuses to top executiveson February 27, 2021
AMC Entertainment Holdings has approved millions in bonuses to its top executives and eligible employees as a means to preserve stockholder value during the COVID-19 pandemic, the theater operator said.
- US air strikes in Syria sent warning to Iran to 'be careful': Bidenon February 27, 2021
WASHINGTON, DC: President Joe Biden said Friday (Feb 26) that Iran should view his decision to authorise U.S. air strikes in Syria as a warning that it can expect consequences for its support of militia groups that threaten U.S. interests or personnel. “You can't act with impunity. Be careful,” ...
- Spider-Man star Tom Holland gets caught in Indian Twitter storm mix-upon February 27, 2021
Spider-Man star Tom Holland was grappling with an angry Twitter storm in India on Friday in a case of mistaken cyber identity.
- Wall Street Week Ahead: Investors weigh new stock leadership as broader market wobbleson February 27, 2021
A shakeup in stocks accelerated by the past week's surge in Treasury yields has investors weighing how far a recent leadership rotation in the U.S. equity market can run, and its implications for the broader S&P 500 index.
- Crusaders 'push the letter of the law,' says Highlanders coachon February 27, 2021
REUTERS: Otago Highlanders coach Tony Brown accused the Canterbury Crusaders of pushing "the letter of the law" after his team lost to the reigning champions in Friday's Super Rugby Aotearoa opener. The Highlanders lost their seventh straight match against their South Island neighbours despite ...
- SoftBank reaches settlement with former WeWork CEO Neumannon February 27, 2021
SoftBank Group Corp said on Friday it had reached a settlement with WeWork's special committee and the company's co-founder and former chief executive, Adam Neumann, putting to rest a legal battle dating back to 2019.
- City's Guardiola is the Heston Blumenthal of football says Moyeson February 27, 2021
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is the "Heston Blumenthal of football" according to West Ham United boss David Moyes, who takes his high-flying side to the Etihad Stadium on Saturday looking to cook up a shock against the Premier League leaders.
- US expert panel recommends authorising Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccineon February 26, 2021
WASHINGTON: A US panel of independent experts voted unanimously Friday (Feb 26) in favor of recommending Johnson & Johnson's one-dose COVID-19 shot for emergency approval, clearing the way for a third vaccine to soon begin shipping in the world's hardest hit country. The committee's 22 members ...
- Exclusive: European officials urge World Bank to exclude fossil-fuel investmentson February 26, 2021
Senior officials from Europe have urged the World Bank's management to expand its climate change strategy to exclude investments in oil- and coal-related projects around the world, and gradually phase out investment in natural gas projects, according to three sources familiar with the matter.
- Boeing CEO asked to testify in crash litigation, lawmakers demand FAA release recordson February 26, 2021
Lawyers for families of a fatal Boeing Co 737 MAX crash in Ethiopia are seeking testimony from the planemaker's chief executive Dave Calhoun and his predecessor Dennis Muilenburg, among other current and former employees, according to a court filing.
- Biden on track to apply Trump-era rule targeting Chinese tech supply chain concernson February 26, 2021
The Biden administration plans to allow a Trump-era rule targeting Chinese technology firms deemed to pose a threat to the United States to go into effect despite objections from U.S. businesses, the U.S. Commerce Department said on Friday.
- Raffles Hotel’s iconic Writers Bar serves cocktails based on a murder mysteryon February 26, 2021
No plans for the weekend? Check out Raffles Hotel’s Writers Bar, where a series of intriguing cocktails await.
- Citigroup revises earnings lower after losing Revlon caseon February 26, 2021
Citigroup Inc said on Friday it recorded an additional US$390 million in operating expenses in the 2020 fourth quarter after a federal judge ruled that it was not entitled to recoup the money it mistakenly wired to lenders of Revlon Inc last year.
- California to spend US$28 million to help arriving asylum-seekerson February 26, 2021
California to spend USUS$28M to help arriving asylum-seekers
- Analysis: How idled car factories super-charged a push for US chip subsidieson February 26, 2021
When President Joe Biden on Wednesday stood at a lectern holding a microchip and pledged to support US$37 billion in federal subsidies for American semiconductor manufacturing, it marked a political breakthrough that happened much more quickly than industry insiders had expected.
- US regulators probe Robinhood over trading curbson February 26, 2021
Online brokerage app Robinhood is in talks with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) regarding resolution of matters including options trading and outages, the firm said in a filing on Friday. (https://bit.ly/3kpGAUb)
- What's it really like to quarantine in a hotel? Tales from around the worldon February 26, 2021
Quarantine experiences vary widely across countries, but all who go through them must find ways to pass the time, from "bowling" with water bottles to making Tinder connections.
- Imperfect girls make perfect role models for young children and teenagerson February 26, 2021
People who are "works in progress" can be more inspiring than the preordained successes of powerhouse figures.
- Why is the new Lexus IS still equipped with a built-in CD and DVD player?on February 26, 2021
It is state-of-the-art yet mildly retro in feel. We took the luxury sports sedan out for a spin and are pleased to report that it doesn't matter what’s inside once you experience how it handles the road.
- Exercise vs diet – what Amazonian children can teach us about weight gainon February 26, 2021
What we eat may be more important than how much we move when it comes to fighting obesity.
- Commentary: China is in no position to take Taiwan by forceon February 26, 2021
Unlike his predecessors, Chinese President Xi Jinping has demonstrated greater intensity in the desire for reunification, says Cui Lei from the China Institute of International Studies.
- Commentary: When and what to buy? At what age? Investing for retirement in a COVID-19 economyon February 26, 2021
Your investment strategy should be based on an understanding of market fundamentals, the long-term outlook and your age, says Patrick Chang.
- Commentary: UK's surprisingly speedy COVID-19 vaccine rollout a gamechangeron February 26, 2021
Britain was one of the worst hit counties with record number of deaths. Yet it seems to have turned a corner and a successful vaccine roll out made a difference, say two professors.
- Commentary: Conflict in families has more negative outcomes on children than divorce doeson February 26, 2021
There are no fixed formulas on how children are impacted by their parents’ marriages but there are common fault lines says social worker Cindy Ng.
- On the lookout for the invisible: How NEA safeguards against radiation riskon February 26, 2021
SINGAPORE: From oil refineries to petrochemical plants, veterinary clinics and land checkpoints, National Environment Agency (NEA) officer Parthiban Balachandran’s job takes him around the whole of Singapore. A technical supervisor with NEA's radiation protection and nuclear science department ...
- Texas power crisis could cripple small marketers, unravel market deregulationon February 26, 2021
Retail power marketers in Texas are appealing multi-million dollar bills from last week's blackout that they say could cripple them and unravel Texas' nearly two-decade-old experiment as the most deregulated U.S. electricity market.
- Bremen end Frankfurt’s unbeaten run with second-half fightbackon February 26, 2021
Werder Bremen's United States forward Josh Sargent scored the winner as his struggling side came from a goal down at halftime to beat Eintracht Frankfurt 2-1 in the Bundesliga on Friday and hand the visitors a first league defeat of the year.