Latest News on Altnews.Asia
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan departs for Saudi Arabia on one-day visitby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday departed for a one-day visit to Saudi Arabia with an aim to assuage the Kingdom's concerns regarding the upcoming Kuala Lumpur summit.
- US travel advisory for North East, urges citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): The United States has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to "exercise caution" while travelling to the states in North East India and the US government has temporarily suspended "official travel" to Assam, amid reports of protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act.
- US President Trump confident Senate will not impeach him: White Houseby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Washington [US], Dec 19 (ANI): US President Donald Trump is confident that the Senate will not vote to impeach him after the House of Representatives voted in favour of the impeachment motion, the White House said in a statement.
- We're worried, want authorities to address issue appropriately: Mohamed Nasheed on Chinese fundsby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Speaker of Maldivian Parliament and former president Mohamed Nasheed said that a "large amount" of Chinese funds have gone into Maldives as projects, most of which have inflated prices and have led to the debt.
- Khalilzad visits Pakistan, updates officials on Taliban Talksby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (Sputnik/ANI): US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad during his visit to Islamabad on Friday briefed Pakistani government officials on the latest developments in the Taliban peace talks, the US Embassy in Pakistan said in a statement.
- Maldives will not allow anyone to preach hate: former president Nasheed on Zakir Naikby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives former President Mohamed Nasheed on Friday said that controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik attempt to enter the Maldives recently was prevented as the government of the island nation does not want anyone to "preach" hatred.
- Future of India, Maldives bright says former President Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has affirmed that the governments of India and Maldives are "on the same page" and the future of ties between the two countries is "bright".
- CAA is internal issue of India: Maldives Speaker Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Terming Citizenship (Amendment) Act an "internal issue" of India, Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on Friday exuded trust in Indian democracy and said that the Bill was democratically passed through both the houses of the Parliament.
- CAA protests: US, UK France, Canada issue 'travel advisory', ask citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Amid protests in northeastern states of India against the amended Citizenship Act, many countries including US, UK, France and Canada have issued travel advisories for their citizens asking them to "exercise caution" while travelling to the region.
- Jaishankar meets Maldives' Parliament Speakerby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Friday met Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed.
- 3 dead in overnight blast in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepalby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Kathmandu [Nepal], Dec 14 (ANI): At least three people have died in an overnight explosion in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepal.
- 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commences from todayby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): The 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commenced with Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan, giving a welcome speech at the ministerial meeting hosted by External Affairs Ministry (EAM) on Friday evening.
- Maritime security multi-faceted issue, co-operation of other countries is necessary: Maldives Foreign Secretaryby Joymala Bagchi (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maritime security is not the responsibility of one state and the cooperation of other countries is necessary, said Maldives Foreign Secretary Abdul Ghafoor Mohamed here on Friday.
- Sharif may be considered for possible toxicology screen if platelet count does not respond: Pak media reportsby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 13 (ANI): In a development likely to raise eyebrows, Pakistani media on Friday reported that former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's toxicology screening for poisoning might be ordered 'if no cause or cure is found of his unstable platelets.'
- Maldives' FM meets PM Modi, conveys Male's commitment to further strengthen ties with Indiaby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maldives' Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and conveyed the "commitment of the leadership of the Maldives to its 'India First' policy" and to further strengthening the bilateral relations.
- India, Maldives agree to strengthen cooperation to combat common threats arising from terrorismby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): India and the Maldives on Friday agreed to hold the meeting of Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism, Countering Violent Extremism and De-radicalisation at an early date to strengthen cooperation required to combat the common threats arising from terrorism and radicalism.
- Contrary to his wish, Zakir Naik was not allowed to come to Maldives, says Maldivian Parliament's Speakerby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik wanted to enter The Maldives but his request was turned down by the government of the island nation.
- People's Majlis Speaker Mohamed Nasheed calls on PM Modi, reaffirms 'unwavering support' to 'India First' policyby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and reaffirmed his government's unwavering support to the 'India First' policy.
- Verdict says Musharraf's body to be hanged at Islamabad's D-Chowk for 3 days if dies before executionby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 19 (ANI): The Special Court, which pronounced death sentence to Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday, has written in its 167-page detailed verdict that the body of the former military dictator would be dragged to and hanged at D-Chowk in Islamabad if he died before the execution of his death sentence.
- PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad Houseby ANI (World) on July 30, 2021
New Delhi [India], Nov 19 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday met his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad House.
- Olympics-Tennis-Zverev hopes his best will be enough to down Djokovic in semisby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Beating Novak Djokovic is currently the toughest job in tennis but Germany's Alexander Zverev hopes his best will be enough on Friday to halt the Serb's march towards a Golden Slam when they meet in the semi-finals of the Tokyo Olympics.
- SFA suspends Seng Huat Bean Curd operations, orders recall of ‘tau kwa’ delivered to wet marketsby Latest News on July 29, 2021
SINGAPORE: Seng Huat Bean Curd has been directed to suspend food business operations from Thursday (Jul 29) until further notice. The suspension, which was issued by the Singapore Food Agency (SFA), comes after widespread pest infestations were found during an inspection of the premises on ...
- Pandemic drove online prices higher -reportby Latest News on July 29, 2021
The rush to online shopping during the pandemic drove prices higher for goods ordered over the internet, eroding a long-standing cost advantage and possible evidence that overall inflation may become more persistent than thought, according to a new report from tech giant Adobe.
- Olympics-Lee grabs all-around gold for US as Biles watches onby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Sunisa Lee claimed the coveted all-around gold medal many expected to see go to her United States team mate Simone Biles on Thursday, as the Tokyo Olympics gymnastics competition moved on without its biggest star.
- Olympics-Table Tennis-China's Chen wins women's singles goldby Latest News on July 29, 2021
China's Chen Meng defeated her compatriot Sun Yingsha 4-2 to win women's singles table tennis gold on Thursday.
- Table tennis: Singapore's Yu Mengyu misses out on Olympics bronze, losing to Japan's Mima Itoby Latest News on July 29, 2021
SINGAPORE: Yu Mingyu's quest for an Olympic medal in the table tennis women's singles event ended on Thursday evening (Jul 29), after the Singaporean lost 4-1 to Japan's Mima Ito in the bronze medal match. The two faced off at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium, having lost their respective semi ...
- More than 17,000 new COVID-19 cases in Malaysia for second straight day, ICU numbers hit another highby Latest News on July 29, 2021
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia reported more than 17,000 new COVID-19 cases for the second straight day on Thursday (Jul 29), with the number of critically ill patients also reaching a new high. The 17,170 new infections - the country’s second highest daily tally to date - comes one day after a record 17 ...
- China accuses BBC of 'fake news' over floods reportingby Latest News on July 29, 2021
BEIJING: Beijing on Thursday (Jul 29) launched a scathing attack on the BBC, accusing it of broadcasting "fake news" and saying the organisation was "naturally unpopular" over its coverage of devastating floods in central China. The broadside by the foreign ministry comes after the BBC called on ...
- Singapore got Pfizer earlier likely due to Temasek stake in BioNTech: Khairy in justifying Malaysia’s vaccine approachby Latest News on July 29, 2021
KUALA LUMPUR: Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation Khairy Jamaluddin said among the reasons why Singapore was ahead of Malaysia in securing access to COVID-19 vaccines could be due to Temasek Holdings having a stake in a company that developed the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Speaking at the ...
- Actions to revoke COVID-19 emergency laws were in line with Malaysia’s laws and Constitution: PMOby Latest News on July 29, 2021
KUALA LUMPUR: Actions taken by the Malaysian government in revoking COVID-19 emergency ordinances were in line with the country's laws and Constitution, said the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) after the palace issued a statement indicating that the king did not give consent to the decision. The PMO ...
- Japan hits 10,000 Covid-19 daily cases for first time; experts call for new ideasby The Straits Times Asia News on July 29, 2021
July 29, 2021 9:16 PMExperts warned that the government seemed to have run out of ideas on how to stem the spread of infections.
- Olympics-Tennis-'Wanted to change my skin' during break, says Medvedevby Latest News on July 29, 2021
On Wednesday, a break between the second and final set worked wonders for Daniil Medvedev during his third-round men's singles match at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Blinken says nuclear talks with Iran 'cannot go on indefinitely'by Latest News on July 29, 2021
KUWAIT CITY: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Thursday (Jul 29) that nuclear talks with Iran "cannot go on indefinitely" but that Washington was "fully prepared" to continue negotiations. The US is indirectly involved in Iran's talks with world powers to revive a nuclear deal that gave ...
- Olympics-Swimming-Paltrinieri celebrates silver as if it were goldby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Italian Gregorio Paltrinieri, the world champion at 800m freestyle and Olympic gold medallist in 2016 at 1,500m, celebrated a silver on Thursday with all the joy of a winner.
- Olympics-Swimming-Dressel takes Olympic record, Ledecky, Titmus set up showdownby Latest News on July 29, 2021
American Caeleb Dressel equalled the Olympic record in the men's 100 metre butterfly heats on Thursday and compatriot Katie Ledecky qualified fastest in the women's 800m freestyle to set up another showdown with in-form Australian Ariarne Titmus.
- Malta government carries responsibility for journalist's murder, inquiry findsby Latest News on July 29, 2021
VALLETTA: An independent inquiry into the car bomb murder of anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia found on Thursday (Jul 29) that the state had to bear responsibility after creating a "culture of impunity". Caruana Galizia was killed in a massive explosion as she drove out of her home ...
- Olympics-Water polo-Italy and Greece seal quarter-final berthsby Latest News on July 29, 2021
World champions Italy became the first team to book a berth in the quarter-finals of the men's water polo competition at the Olympics after coming from behind to beat the United States 12-11 at Tatsumi Water Polo Centre on Thursday.
- UK could hit 40°C soon due to climate change: Reportby Latest News on July 29, 2021
LONDON: Britain has become wetter and warmer as a result of climate change, with the country's 10 hottest years in more than a century occurring since 2002, a report by leading meteorologists said on Thursday (Jul 29). The annual "State of the UK Climate" report, published in the International ...
- Olympics-Fencing-ROC wins gold in women's team foilby Latest News on July 29, 2021
The Russian Olympic Committee won gold in the women's team foil fencing competition in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on Thursday.
- Top German court strikes down Facebook rules on hate speechby Latest News on July 29, 2021
A top German court has ruled that Facebook acted illegally in taking down racist posts and blocking the account of their author because the social network failed to inform the user or give a reason for shutting them down.
- IMF sees "critical role" as world transitions to digital moneyby Latest News on July 29, 2021
The International Monetary Fund must ramp up its resources as it seeks to "monitor, advise on, and help manage this far-reaching and complex transition" to digital money, according to an IMF paper published on Thursday.
- Olympics-Athletics-Without Bolt the 100m is suddenly a race againby Latest News on July 29, 2021
The post-Usain Bolt era in the Olympic 100 metres begins this weekend as the United States seek to regain supremacy in the event they dominated for more than a century.
- Soccer-Carvajal signs new Real Madrid deal until 2025by Latest News on July 29, 2021
Real Madrid right back Dani Carvajal has signed a new deal that will keep him at the club until 2025, the La Liga team said on Thursday.
- Rugby-Erasmus airs grievances over Lions tour refereeing in hour-long videoby Latest News on July 29, 2021
South Africa's director of rugby, Rassie Erasmus, posted an hour-long video on Twitter on Thursday airing his grievances over the refereeing in the first test of the British & Irish Lions tour - before saying he would "step away" for the last two tests.
- Shooting: Stefecekova, Liptak win trap golds in Tokyoby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Zuzana Rehak Stefecekova of Slovakia won the Tokyo Olympics women's trap gold medal at the Asaka Shooting Range on Thursday (Jul 29).
- Swimming: In his 'last dance' at the Olympics, Cseh will finally catch Phelpsby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Hungarian Laszlo Cseh spent his entire career chasing Michael Phelps, but on Friday (Jul 30) he will bow out of the Olympics by at least matching the American's record for longevity at the top.
- Orange Spain will invest close to 4 billion euros in 2021 despite bruising marketby Latest News on July 29, 2021
Orange's Spanish unit will invest nearly 4 billion euros (US$4.75 billion) in 2021, CEO Jean-Francois Fallacher said on Thursday, almost quadrupling 2020's investment levels despite bruising market conditions and a 3.7 billion-euro writedown in the second quarter.
- TuSimple's self-driving trucks to use Ryder sites as terminalsby Latest News on July 29, 2021
REUTERS: Self-driving truck technology company TuSimple Holdings Inc said on Thursday its trucks will use truck leasing and rental company Ryder System Inc's maintenance sites as terminals to help it expand its U.S. autonomous freight network. Under the partnership, Ryder will provide ...
- LinkedIn to allow most employees to work remotely, reversing courseby Latest News on July 29, 2021
LinkedIn will allow most employees to opt for full-time remote work as offices gradually reopen, Chief People Officer Teuila Hanson told Reuters.
- Asian Insider: Allies pressure Malaysian PM Muhyiddin to quit | The world of state-linked influencersby The Straits Times Asia News on July 29, 2021
July 29, 2021 8:08 PMIn this week's edition, get up to speed on Malaysia’s political crisis after Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin was asked to quit by his allies over a royal rebuke. Also, learn about how it now costs more to die in Indonesia as undertakers profiteer even as many succumb to Covid-19 in their homes.