Latest News on Altnews.Asia
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan departs for Saudi Arabia on one-day visitby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday departed for a one-day visit to Saudi Arabia with an aim to assuage the Kingdom's concerns regarding the upcoming Kuala Lumpur summit.
- US travel advisory for North East, urges citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): The United States has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to "exercise caution" while travelling to the states in North East India and the US government has temporarily suspended "official travel" to Assam, amid reports of protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act.
- 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commences from todayby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): The 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commenced with Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan, giving a welcome speech at the ministerial meeting hosted by External Affairs Ministry (EAM) on Friday evening.
- We're worried, want authorities to address issue appropriately: Mohamed Nasheed on Chinese fundsby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Speaker of Maldivian Parliament and former president Mohamed Nasheed said that a "large amount" of Chinese funds have gone into Maldives as projects, most of which have inflated prices and have led to the debt.
- Khalilzad visits Pakistan, updates officials on Taliban Talksby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (Sputnik/ANI): US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad during his visit to Islamabad on Friday briefed Pakistani government officials on the latest developments in the Taliban peace talks, the US Embassy in Pakistan said in a statement.
- Maldives will not allow anyone to preach hate: former president Nasheed on Zakir Naikby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives former President Mohamed Nasheed on Friday said that controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik attempt to enter the Maldives recently was prevented as the government of the island nation does not want anyone to "preach" hatred.
- Future of India, Maldives bright says former President Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has affirmed that the governments of India and Maldives are "on the same page" and the future of ties between the two countries is "bright".
- CAA is internal issue of India: Maldives Speaker Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Terming Citizenship (Amendment) Act an "internal issue" of India, Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on Friday exuded trust in Indian democracy and said that the Bill was democratically passed through both the houses of the Parliament.
- CAA protests: US, UK France, Canada issue 'travel advisory', ask citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Amid protests in northeastern states of India against the amended Citizenship Act, many countries including US, UK, France and Canada have issued travel advisories for their citizens asking them to "exercise caution" while travelling to the region.
- Jaishankar meets Maldives' Parliament Speakerby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Friday met Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed.
- US President Trump confident Senate will not impeach him: White Houseby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Washington [US], Dec 19 (ANI): US President Donald Trump is confident that the Senate will not vote to impeach him after the House of Representatives voted in favour of the impeachment motion, the White House said in a statement.
- 3 dead in overnight blast in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepalby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Kathmandu [Nepal], Dec 14 (ANI): At least three people have died in an overnight explosion in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepal.
- Maritime security multi-faceted issue, co-operation of other countries is necessary: Maldives Foreign Secretaryby Joymala Bagchi (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maritime security is not the responsibility of one state and the cooperation of other countries is necessary, said Maldives Foreign Secretary Abdul Ghafoor Mohamed here on Friday.
- Sharif may be considered for possible toxicology screen if platelet count does not respond: Pak media reportsby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 13 (ANI): In a development likely to raise eyebrows, Pakistani media on Friday reported that former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's toxicology screening for poisoning might be ordered 'if no cause or cure is found of his unstable platelets.'
- Maldives' FM meets PM Modi, conveys Male's commitment to further strengthen ties with Indiaby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maldives' Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and conveyed the "commitment of the leadership of the Maldives to its 'India First' policy" and to further strengthening the bilateral relations.
- India, Maldives agree to strengthen cooperation to combat common threats arising from terrorismby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): India and the Maldives on Friday agreed to hold the meeting of Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism, Countering Violent Extremism and De-radicalisation at an early date to strengthen cooperation required to combat the common threats arising from terrorism and radicalism.
- Contrary to his wish, Zakir Naik was not allowed to come to Maldives, says Maldivian Parliament's Speakerby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik wanted to enter The Maldives but his request was turned down by the government of the island nation.
- People's Majlis Speaker Mohamed Nasheed calls on PM Modi, reaffirms 'unwavering support' to 'India First' policyby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and reaffirmed his government's unwavering support to the 'India First' policy.
- Verdict says Musharraf's body to be hanged at Islamabad's D-Chowk for 3 days if dies before executionby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 19 (ANI): The Special Court, which pronounced death sentence to Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday, has written in its 167-page detailed verdict that the body of the former military dictator would be dragged to and hanged at D-Chowk in Islamabad if he died before the execution of his death sentence.
- PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad Houseby ANI (World) on January 24, 2021
New Delhi [India], Nov 19 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday met his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad House.
- India to administer home-grown vaccine in seven more states this weekon January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 4:51 PMThe expansion from the 12 states now administering Covaxin includes Kerala and Gujarat
- US carrier group enters South China Sea amid Taiwan tensionson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 4:25 PMTAIPEI (REUTERS) - A US aircraft carrier group led by the USS Theodore Roosevelt has entered the South China Sea to promote "freedom of the seas", the US military said on Sunday (Jan 24), at a time when tensions between China and Taiwan have raised concern in Washington.
- 18-year-old suspect arrested for cheating over ‘nude materials’ scamon January 24, 2021
SINGAPORE: An 18-year-old woman has been arrested for her suspected involvement in a series of cheating cases, the Singapore Police Force (SPF) said on Sunday (Jan 24), with one scam involving an online advertisement offering “nude materials”. On Oct 28 last year, police received a report from a ...
- 48 new COVID-19 infections in Singapore, all imported in 10-month highon January 24, 2021
SINGAPORE: Singapore reported 48 new COVID-19 cases as of noon on Sunday (Jan 24), said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in its preliminary daily update. This is the highest number of imported infections in Singapore since Mar 23, when 48 imported cases were also reported. No locally transmitted ...
- Nine active cases of COVID-19 in Australian Open quarantine - officialson January 24, 2021
One case of COVID-19 among those in quarantine ahead of the Australian Open has been reclassified, local health officials said on Sunday, leaving nine active cases in the group of players and support staff isolating in Melbourne hotels.
- Australia says 'inevitable' that Google, other tech firms have to pay for newson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 3:44 PMAt least 94 per cent of online searches in Australia go through Google.
- Sumitomo Corp to stop investing in new oil development projects: Reporton January 24, 2021
TOKYO: Japanese trading house Sumitomo Corp will stop investing in new oil development projects as it shifts away from fossil fuels businesses amid a global push to cut greenhouse gas emissions, the Nikkei business daily reported on Sunday (Jan 24). The move comes as global miners and Japanese ...
- Taiwan says asking chip firms to help ease auto chip shortageon January 24, 2021
Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs said on Sunday it has received requests through diplomatic channels to help ease a shortage of chips for the auto sector and that it has asked local tech firms to provide "full assistance".
- Bangladesh to buy Myanmar rice, putting aside Rohingya crisison January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 3:30 PMDHAKA (REUTERS) - Bangladesh will buy 100,000 tonnes of rice from Myanmar, putting aside a rift over the Rohingya refugee crisis as the government races to overcome a shortage of the staple food for the country's more than 160 million people.
- Missing man found in Australian bush after 18 dayson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 3:20 PMRescuers earlier suspended an air-and-ground search after failing to find a trace of him.
- KLM to keep long haul flights as COVID testing demands are softenedon January 24, 2021
AMSTERDAM: Dutch airline KLM will keep operating long haul flights, including for vaccine distribution, after agreeing with the government on softer demands for returning air crews to carry out rapid COVID-19 tests. The Dutch arm of Air France-KLM said earlier in the week it would cancel all its ...
- COVID-19 pandemic boosts variety of video gameson January 24, 2021
BRUSSELS: You're stuck in lockdown but that doesn't mean you can't visit a tropical island, a space station or have games night with your friends - certain video games have filled the need of the world's confined for a bit of distraction, adventure and socialising and achieved unexpected success ...
- US insurers add food to coverage menu as way to improve healthon January 24, 2021
WASHINGTON: When COVID-19 first swarmed the United States, one health insurer called some customers with a question: Do you have enough to eat? Oscar Health wanted to know if people had adequate food for the next couple of weeks and how they planned to stay stocked up while hunkering down at home ...
- London stock market facing blockbuster IPO yearon January 24, 2021
LONDON: London will enjoy a very strong year for stock market flotations, analysts say, arguing that both Brexit and COVID-19 offer firms a unique opportunity to expand. Various big-name businesses that have seen booming online demand from home-bound customers during COVID-19 lockdowns have ...
- First trapped miners rescued from Chinese mine: State mediaon January 24, 2021
BEIJING: Chinese rescuers pulled seven gold miners to safety on Sunday (Jan 24), 14 days after they were trapped by an underground explosion, state broadcaster CCTV reported, with at least four others still believed to be alive in the mine. Footage showed the first miner to be rescued, a black ...
- Root notches another ton as England battle trial by spin v Sri Lankaon January 24, 2021
Captain Joe Root scored his second century in succession to keep England afloat on a difficult, turning wicket as they reached 181 for four in their first innings at lunch on day three of the second and final test against Sri Lanka in Galle.
- As Malaysians hunker down during Covid-19 lockdown, animals come out to playon January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 2:41 PMDusky leaf monkeys have been spotted roaming around freely in Penang Hill.
- MMA: Poirier knocks out McGregor at UFC 257 to plot new title shoton January 24, 2021
ABU DHABI: Dustin Poirier scored a sensational knockout victory over Conor McGregor at UFC 257, decking him in the second round to put himself in pole position for another crack at the lightweight title. The KO was the first in McGregor's storied career and came after the Irishman had dominated ...
- Australia's Maxwell accepts test career all but overon January 24, 2021
Australia's Glenn Maxwell has accepted that his stop-start test career is effectively over and is instead preparing for a busy white-ball future that will include three World Cups in three years.
- Australia has eye on vaccination drive even though coronavirus under controlon January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 2:29 PMAustralia's first batch of the Pfizer vaccine is due to arrive in February.
- Australia has eye on vaccination drive even though COVID-19 under controlon January 24, 2021
MELBOURNE: Australia recorded no new local coronavirus cases on Sunday (Jan 24), maintaining a recent run of success in keeping the virus at bay, but nevertheless is keen to press on with its vaccination campaign from next month, government officials said. Australia's first batch of the Pfizer ...
- New Zealand probes first 'probable' community COVID-19 case in monthson January 24, 2021
WELLINGTON: New Zealand health officials said on Sunday (Jan 24) they were investigating what they said was probably the country's first community coronavirus case in months in a woman who recently returned from overseas. The 56-year-old, who returned to New Zealand on Dec 30, tested positive for ...
- Hong Kong on track to lifting lockdown in densely packed district after mass Covid-19 testingon January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 1:21 PMChief Secretary Matthew Cheung said almost 7,000 individuals had been tested as of Saturday.
- Normal diets for trapped China miners as rescue continueson January 24, 2021
Normal diets for trapped China miners as rescue continues
- Tears and fears as India's huge COVID-19 vaccine push falterson January 24, 2021
GREATER NOIDA, India: India's huge coronavirus vaccination drive is behind schedule, with a third of recipients not showing up for appointments because of safety fears, technical glitches and a belief that the pandemic is ending. After one week, India has vaccinated 1.4 million people, or 200,000 ...
- Hussain questions England decision to rest Bairstow for Chennai testson January 24, 2021
Former captain Nasser Hussain has questioned England's decision to rest Jonny Bairstow for the first two tests against India next month, saying the batsman's spin proficiency was particularly needed at the start of the "iconic series".
- Myanmar's displaced Christians rebuild lives on Yangon's outskirtson January 24, 2021
YANGON: Hammering at bamboo poles to erect a stilt house, minority Christians who have fled conflict in northern Myanmar are building a sanctuary on the outskirts of Yangon. The small Christian community in the Buddhist-majority nation is part of 200,000 people displaced since 2018 by fierce ...
- Tears and fears as India's huge coronavirus vaccine push falterson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 12:28 PMAfter one week, India has vaccinated 1.4 million people, or 200,000 people per day.
- Malaysia mulls closing major economic sectors if MCO fails to curb Covid-19: Sourceson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 12:15 PMThe country saw a record 4,275 new coronavirus cases on Saturday.
- Myanmar's displaced Christians rebuild lives on Yangon's outskirtson January 24, 2021
January 24, 2021 12:13 PMThe small Christian community is part of 200,000 people displaced since 2018 by fierce fighting in northern Rakhine state.