Latest News on Altnews.Asia
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan departs for Saudi Arabia on one-day visitby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Saturday departed for a one-day visit to Saudi Arabia with an aim to assuage the Kingdom's concerns regarding the upcoming Kuala Lumpur summit.
- 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commences from todayby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): The 11th edition of Delhi Dialogue commenced with Minister of State for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan, giving a welcome speech at the ministerial meeting hosted by External Affairs Ministry (EAM) on Friday evening.
- US President Trump confident Senate will not impeach him: White Houseby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Washington [US], Dec 19 (ANI): US President Donald Trump is confident that the Senate will not vote to impeach him after the House of Representatives voted in favour of the impeachment motion, the White House said in a statement.
- We're worried, want authorities to address issue appropriately: Mohamed Nasheed on Chinese fundsby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Speaker of Maldivian Parliament and former president Mohamed Nasheed said that a "large amount" of Chinese funds have gone into Maldives as projects, most of which have inflated prices and have led to the debt.
- Khalilzad visits Pakistan, updates officials on Taliban Talksby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 14 (Sputnik/ANI): US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad during his visit to Islamabad on Friday briefed Pakistani government officials on the latest developments in the Taliban peace talks, the US Embassy in Pakistan said in a statement.
- Maldives will not allow anyone to preach hate: former president Nasheed on Zakir Naikby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives former President Mohamed Nasheed on Friday said that controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik attempt to enter the Maldives recently was prevented as the government of the island nation does not want anyone to "preach" hatred.
- Future of India, Maldives bright says former President Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed has affirmed that the governments of India and Maldives are "on the same page" and the future of ties between the two countries is "bright".
- CAA is internal issue of India: Maldives Speaker Mohamed Nasheedby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Terming Citizenship (Amendment) Act an "internal issue" of India, Maldives Parliament Speaker Mohamed Nasheed on Friday exuded trust in Indian democracy and said that the Bill was democratically passed through both the houses of the Parliament.
- CAA protests: US, UK France, Canada issue 'travel advisory', ask citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): Amid protests in northeastern states of India against the amended Citizenship Act, many countries including US, UK, France and Canada have issued travel advisories for their citizens asking them to "exercise caution" while travelling to the region.
- Jaishankar meets Maldives' Parliament Speakerby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Friday met Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed.
- US travel advisory for North East, urges citizens to 'exercise caution'by ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 14 (ANI): The United States has issued a travel advisory for its citizens to "exercise caution" while travelling to the states in North East India and the US government has temporarily suspended "official travel" to Assam, amid reports of protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act.
- 3 dead in overnight blast in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepalby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Kathmandu [Nepal], Dec 14 (ANI): At least three people have died in an overnight explosion in Dhanushadham of Southern Nepal.
- Maritime security multi-faceted issue, co-operation of other countries is necessary: Maldives Foreign Secretaryby Joymala Bagchi (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maritime security is not the responsibility of one state and the cooperation of other countries is necessary, said Maldives Foreign Secretary Abdul Ghafoor Mohamed here on Friday.
- Sharif may be considered for possible toxicology screen if platelet count does not respond: Pak media reportsby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 13 (ANI): In a development likely to raise eyebrows, Pakistani media on Friday reported that former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's toxicology screening for poisoning might be ordered 'if no cause or cure is found of his unstable platelets.'
- Maldives' FM meets PM Modi, conveys Male's commitment to further strengthen ties with Indiaby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Maldives' Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and conveyed the "commitment of the leadership of the Maldives to its 'India First' policy" and to further strengthening the bilateral relations.
- India, Maldives agree to strengthen cooperation to combat common threats arising from terrorismby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): India and the Maldives on Friday agreed to hold the meeting of Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism, Countering Violent Extremism and De-radicalisation at an early date to strengthen cooperation required to combat the common threats arising from terrorism and radicalism.
- Contrary to his wish, Zakir Naik was not allowed to come to Maldives, says Maldivian Parliament's Speakerby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik wanted to enter The Maldives but his request was turned down by the government of the island nation.
- People's Majlis Speaker Mohamed Nasheed calls on PM Modi, reaffirms 'unwavering support' to 'India First' policyby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Dec 13 (ANI): Speaker of People's Majlis of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on Friday and reaffirmed his government's unwavering support to the 'India First' policy.
- Verdict says Musharraf's body to be hanged at Islamabad's D-Chowk for 3 days if dies before executionby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
Islamabad [Pakistan], Dec 19 (ANI): The Special Court, which pronounced death sentence to Pervez Musharraf on Tuesday, has written in its 167-page detailed verdict that the body of the former military dictator would be dragged to and hanged at D-Chowk in Islamabad if he died before the execution of his death sentence.
- PM Modi meets Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad Houseby ANI (World) on April 18, 2021
New Delhi [India], Nov 19 (ANI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday met his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa at Hyderabad House.
- 1 community case among 23 new COVID-19 infections in Singaporeon April 18, 2021
SINGAPORE: One community case was among 23 new COVID-19 infections reported in Singapore on Sunday (Apr 18), said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in its preliminary daily update. The remaining 22 cases were imported. All were placed on stay-home notice or isolated upon their arrival in Singapore ...
- Thailand reports new daily high of Covid-19 cases as new restrictions kick inon April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 3:25 PMAlmost all of the new daily cases were domestic infections.
- British sport pays respects to Prince Philipon April 18, 2021
LONDON: British sport stopped to pay tribute to Prince Philip ahead of his funeral on Saturday with two minutes' silence held before Newcastle's Premier League match against West Ham and several Championship fixtures on Saturday (Apr 17). The Duke of Edinburgh died aged 99 on Apr 9 and English ...
- Australia's federal govt and South Australia sign US$851 million deal to curb carbon emissionson April 18, 2021
MELBOURNE: Australia's federal government and the state of South Australia have signed a A$1.1 billion (US$851 million) deal to finance measures aimed at making energy more affordable and helping to curb carbon emissions. Australia said in December it could beat its target for cutting carbon ...
- Australian leaders to meet on vaccine plan to speed up roll-outon April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 3:00 PMCurrent vaccine supplies are sufficient to cover initial stages of the program currently under way, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Sunday (April 18).
- Snooker: World champion O'Sullivan wins as fans return to Crucibleon April 18, 2021
Ronnie O'Sullivan started his World Championship defence with a 10-4 win over Mark Joyce on Saturday as fans were allowed back into sporting events in England for the first time this year.
- Used electronics trading platform Aihuishou to raise up to US$1 billion in US IPO: Sourceson April 18, 2021
HONG KONG: Chinese secondhand electronics trading platform Aihuishou is aiming to raise US$500 million to US$1 billion in a US initial public offering by early June, said two people with direct knowledge. The 10-year-old company, backed by online retailer JD.com, is targeting a valuation of US$4 ...
- India reports another record daily rise in COVID-19 infectionson April 18, 2021
India reported a record daily increase of 261,500 coronavirus infections over the last 24 hours, health ministry data showed on Sunday.
- 'Roaring Kitty' acquires more shares in GameStop: Reporton April 18, 2021
The man known as "Roaring Kitty" on social media, whose online posts helped spark January's trading frenzy in GameStop, exercised call options on the stock to acquire 50,000 more shares at a strike price of US$12, Bloomberg reported. Bloomberg cited a screenshot of Keith Gill's portfolio showing ...
- Amazon's video game division cancels Lord of the Rings game announced in 2019on April 18, 2021
Amazon.com's video game division has cancelled an online role-playing game based on the fantasy series Lord of the Rings, which was announced in 2019, an Amazon spokeswoman said. The game had been in development at Amazon Game Studios alongside China-based Leyou Technologies Holdings, which was ...
- Swimming: Campbell, Chalmers shine to clinch Australian sprint titleson April 18, 2021
Sprint star Cate Campbell fired a warning shot with a lightning-fast 50m freestyle swim to win the Australian title Sunday as Kyle Chalmers sealed the men's treble.
- Myanmar unity government says it must be part of any Asean bid to end crisison April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 2:00 PMThe unity government set up last week said Asean should not recognise the Myanmar junta.
- South Africa regulator recommends lifting Johnson & Johnson vaccine pause after some conditionson April 18, 2021
South Africa's health regulator, on Saturday, recommended that the government lift the pause on administering drugmaker Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccines, given that certain conditions are met.
- Hyderabad's winless streak in IPL baffles skipper Warneron April 18, 2021
Sunrisers Hyderabad captain David Warner is surprised by his team's winless streak in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and demanded "smart cricket" from his side after their third successive defeat in Saturday's match against Mumbai Indians.
- In traffic-choked Jakarta, volunteer motorcyclists help ambulances weave through congestionon April 18, 2021
JAKARTA: As soon as the wailing sound of an ambulance sirens were heard, three motorcyclists in matching leather jackets immediately sprang into action, hastily putting on their helmets and hopping on their motorcycles. With their hands revving the throttles, the three motorcyclists quickly ...
- Soccer: Man Utd's Solskjaer says no problem with documentary on Pogba's lifeon April 18, 2021
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Paul Pogba will not be affected by the added spotlight of an Amazon Prime documentary on his life, saying the French midfielder is fully focused on helping the team win matches.
- Di tengah hiruk pikuk Jakarta, relawan pengendara motor membantu ambulans menembus kemacetanon April 18, 2021
JAKARTA: Saat suara sirene ambulans terdengar memecah keheningan, seketika itu pula tiga orang pengendara roda dua berseragam jaket merah bergegas memasang helm mereka dan menyalakan mesin motor. Ketiga pengendara sepeda motor itu pun memacu kencang kendaraan mereka dan menyusul ambulans dengan ...
- Australia in no hurry to reopen borders: PM Scott Morrisonon April 18, 2021
Australia is no hurry to reopen its international borders and risk the country's nearly coronavirus-free lifestyle, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Sunday.
- Pfizer agreed to supply additional COVID-19 vaccines, says Japan's vaccine ministeron April 18, 2021
TOKYO: Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla has agreed to Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga's request to supply additional doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, the vaccine minister of Japan said on Sunday (Apr 18). "They have agreed on the essentials of the matter," vaccine tzar Taro Kono said during a live ...
- From Moscow to New York, ultra-fast delivery takes off amid pandemicon April 18, 2021
Like millions of people around the world, Yuri Nekrasov stopped going to the grocery store every day last year when authorities in Moscow enforced a coronavirus lockdown.
- Australia, largely free of Covid-19, in no hurry to reopen borders: PM Morrisonon April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 11:43 AMAustralia closed its borders to all non-citizens and non-residents in March 2020.
- South Korea, US show differences over Japan's Fukushima planson April 18, 2021
SEOUL: South Korea raised concerns over Japan's decision to release contaminated water from its crippled Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea with visiting US climate envoy John Kerry, its foreign ministry said, but Kerry reaffirmed Washington's confidence in the plan's transparency. Kerry arrived ...
- South Korea, US show differences over Japan's Fukushima planson April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 11:29 AMSeoul is concerned about the release of treated water, but Washington is confident about the plan.
- US, China commit to climate cooperation ahead of key summiton April 18, 2021
SHANGHAI: China and the United States agree that stronger pledges to fight climate change should be introduced before a new round of international talks at the end of the year, the two countries said in a joint statement on Sunday (Apr 18). The statement came after a meeting between Chinese ...
- Queen Elizabeth stands alone as Philip is laid to rest; William and Harry talkon April 18, 2021
WINDSOR, England: Queen Elizabeth bade farewell to Prince Philip at a funeral on Saturday (Apr 17) that celebrated his seven decades of service and gave grandsons William and Harry the chance to talk in public for the first time since claims of racism threw the family into crisis. Elizabeth ...
- Commentary: Why many under 45 are hoping vaccination slots open in Juneon April 18, 2021
Those in Singapore under 45 may be able to sign up for vaccination starting June, says Senior Minister of Health Janil Puthucheary. Until then, what might be needed but is in short supply is patience.
- 2 bodies found in Singapore River near Clarke Quayon April 18, 2021
SINGAPORE: Two bodies were found in the Singapore River near Clarke Quay early on Sunday morning (Apr 18). The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it received a call for a "water rescue incident" along the river near 6 Eu Tong Sen Street at about 2am. “Upon SCDF’s arrival, there were no ...
- Philippines warns of floods as Surigae becomes a super typhoonon April 18, 2021
April 18, 2021 10:07 AMMANILA (BLOOMBERG) - The Philippines warned of flash floods and landslides as Surigae intensified while on water to become the first super typhoon of 2021.
- Creative Capital: This Singaporean multi-disciplinary artist take visual arts to the next levelon April 18, 2021
Winner of Mnet Asian Music Awards' Best Visual and Art Director of the Year, 27-year-old Tan Yang Er helps Singaporean talents such as Jasmine Sokko, Narelle Kheng and Michael Chiang engage audience through visual storytelling.
- Motor racing: O'Ward takes pole, Grosjean grabs IndyCar spotlighton April 18, 2021
REUTERS: Mexico's Patricio O'Ward put Arrow McLaren on pole on Saturday for the IndyCar season opening Alabama Grand Prix while Frenchman Romain Grosjean made a strong impression in his series debut, qualifying seventh. O'Ward was joined on the front row at Barber Motorsports Park by Andretti ...